Thursday 13 June 2013

A few summer projects

This’ll be fun.

A couple of the hotel buildings, in the 1960s
I’ve been back up in the Yukon for a little over a month and have three more to go until the contract at the hotel I’m working at is complete.  My job up here is to landscape and maintain the grounds at the hotel (same one as last year).  The hotel has changed a fair bit over the years, but it still has a bit of a lodgey vibe from when it was called the Alas/Kon Border Lodge when it first opened in the 1960s.  It’s been here since then and takes up a decent piece of property with the grounds requiring a fair bit of work.

Last summer was my first season working this job and coming back for this season means I know what to expect and what I need to do to have fun with it.  I also now know the land up here a bit more, the climate, the town and friends from last year so I figured I’d use the resources that exist here, coupled with a few ideas of mine, and make my summer into a giant agricultural experiment.

Beaver Creek in the 1960s -
A few lines and dots in the Boreal forest
(not much has changed)
So I came prepared and have been laying the groundwork for a few summer projects.  Here’s what I have in town to work with:

1. 35 - 40 garden beds at the hotel with a
 liberal spending budget for the landscape.

2. Greenhouse and compost at Colleen’s place.

3. White River First Nation Community Garden
   with greenhouse, compost system and tiller.

4. Lots of junk.  Old barrels, tubes,
        old fooseball tables, etc.

5. Container gardens built on skids
at the back of the property

I’ll keep ya posted on progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment