Monday 23 June 2014

On transitions and a really awesome job.

I'm at a point where a) our culture and the ways in which it governs people and the planet, and b) the omnipresent beauty of people, plants and well pretty much everything, have given me two options.  Option A is to become extremely complacent, jaded and unhappy with our culture, my place in it, the health of it's people and the health of our planet.  Option B is to nourish my own health and my own will and to inspire and work to empower others to do the same.  To keep it short, this age is forcing us to rethink and change ourselves - the food we eat, our chosen career paths, our mode of transport, our mental health and the connections we do/do not make with others.  This necessity has become quite clear to me.

The option I'm choosing is, I hope, obvious.


That said, I have no idea what direction this blog will take.  It might change, it might not.  I might stop using it, I might continue.  It might use it differently, I might not.  We'll see!

I’ve been honing in on a few skills and interests that I’ve picked up over the past few years while ramblin’ around - namely things like edible landscaping and permaculture.  Also, living minimally out of a backpack/van/dry cabin for the last while truly provides me with all of the material things I feel I need to be a functioning, happy human.  I’ve learned I don’t want to give them up for matching leather couches and a front lawn.

However!  I am now seeking the things which are of most importance when crafting a lifestyle based on treating the Earth with respect, growing/foraging some of your food, being resourceful with what you have around you, and empowering others to do the same: ROOTS and COMMUNITY!

In the middle of this transition I received an incredible job back up here in Beaver Creek, Yukon.  I’m the “Community Garden Program Facilitator” for the White River First Nation.  This isn’t the official job blog so I likely won’t post too much about work on here.  Regardless, my job is to build and facilitate a space where I provide seed, soil, gardening equipment, and expertise to those wanting to grow their own, and to teach youth - or anyone interested -  the benefits of growing their own food.  There are no grocery stores in town (population 80) and the closest grocery store is either a 2 hour drive west to Tok, Alaska, or a 5 hour drive east to Whitehorse, Yukon.  While I don’t foresee myself establishing long-term roots or community here (friends from here can always visit me elsewhere ;D ), I will be working and living up here until early-September with the possibility of returning for next summer.

Anyways, I digress.  Other things I enjoy having on my mind these days: searching for a Yukon or Alaska source of grass-fed beef (does such a thing even exist?..).  rebuilding my meditation practice.  seeking community and a home for the Winter with my partner, Chantelle.  riding my bike down the Alaska Highway.  playing guitar.  pondering the purchase of a banjo.  I wish for those reading this to have often and sudden bursts of extreme happiness.  Goodbye.

The plateau and the St. Elias Mountains in the back

No comments:

Post a Comment